Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thoughts

I have written an earlier post titled "Mom" and wrote about how mother misses dad and how she is giving away her belongings.  Since then, she has continued to do this.  She is blessed with many good things like good hearing, a sound mind, ability to still get around mostly on her own, go out to church, WCG meetings, breakfast/lunch out on occasion (with Martha each Wed.) and playing rummy against Kent & I several times a week.  Winning as often as we do. 

While there today, mom said she dropped her name off the auto insurance policy putting the car in my brother's name.  She has now given up the right to drive, and although Kent drove her around 99% of the time, there was the chance she could still drive.  How would that feel, knowing this is a big part of your life, now over.  I just wonder what she is thinking.  I know she thinks of Heaven.  A lot.

Another sad thing, is that her beloved Women of the Church of God are going to a Convention this weekend.  For more years than I can remember, she has gone.  However, after praying more than once, she decided not to go.  There is always a lot of walking.  Someone would be having to help her quite a bit.  She knows she is not up to walking a lot, so she is staying home this time.  Today, she said she was a little sad but knows this is best. Again, what goes through her mind?  One more "last thing"?

When I was leaving her house today, she sent me home a couple of dishes full of food.  She still makes the best chicken and dumplins.  The funny thing is, now she says "don't return the dishes".  I sure don't need the bowls, but had to laugh at the fact she just is trying to get rid of her things.  She thinks by doing this, it is helping us when the time comes she is gone.  She asked that we girls make sure Kent has anything out of the house he needs.  We each have a home with everything we need.  Kent has lived with mom, been her companion since dad has died.  He takes her each Friday to get her hair done....she has gone to Rita at a beauty salon out on Bryan Station Rd. for many years.  She has stopped by to buy and bring them Spaulding Donuts many times.  She goes early, stands in line, and buys a dozen for the ladies there. 

Well, this has been quite random written at an hour that is too late for me to be up.  Clyde has even gone to bed before me.....that never happens.  So, I best wind this up.  I have reread it, but not sure it makes total sense.  Again, I just wanted to get a few things off my mind.  I know one thing, I need to enjoy mom each moment.  I need to tell her "I love you and thank you".  I know she may be here 5 to 10 more years, but my brother told me today he doesn't think she thinks so. 



This game went on until there were no cards in the "draw" cards.  We used every one...down to the last. 

1 comment:

  1. Reflections and recollections... Touched by both... And seeing this in my life with Nana and. Mom as well so can relate.

    ReplyDelete