Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year 2012

Happy New Year's Eve at Chris & Susan's house.  Fred & Michelle being good sports with their party hats!  For many years, since the children were small, we have met together to play Rook.  We start around 7 and play using tally cards for three tables.  At times we have four tables.  This year was the smallest group maybe ever, but that was fine.  We are a close "small group" that supports each other while "doing life".  These are the friends I call on when we want to have fun....movies, dinner, at times vacations!  We do mostly "couples" things, but we girls find ourselves having lunch from time to time.

Oh, aren't we such a wild crew:)  We saw the New Year in with peppermint punch and noise makers.  The girls played a new game (not new to Vickie) using dominoes and it was called "goobers".  We have played "chicken foot" for many years.  It was a game using dominoes that Tricia's mom & dad taught her, then she passed it on to us.  We like it, and "goobers" was a variation similar to it.  Fun learning new games. 
This is our small group of girls, minus Tricia.  So we remember for next year, she went to a wedding then the reception first, then came to the party.  She missed dominoes but was there in plenty of time for the ball to drop.  This tree was beautiful and SO big.   Part of our conversation earlier was about the pain due to illness some friends and acquaintances are experiencing.  Wondering about what the new year will bring.  Come what may, I pray we will be there for each other.  I hope my friends know they can call on me at any time of the day or night for prayer support.  My prayer is that God will show me how to help, when to go, when to stay, and what my friend needs from Him, through me.  Already in our small group we have experienced divorce, all our kids growing up, marriages, and the death of one or more of our parents.  We always said we would grow old together.  So far so good.  So, in the new year, I want to be available. I want to be wise and show God's love in my words & actions.  I want to listen and know what to say and what not to say.  I pray for my friends and their families.  For relationships to be healed, for closure to come where needed and for us to find joy in our lives. 
New Year's day found us at 10:00 service then out to Outback for lunch.  Yum those BIG lettuce wedges.  We both had great steaks with potatoes & bread.  Clyde and I ate alone and enjoyed every moment.  We then shopped at Dillards, came home to get ready for the munchkins.  We picked them back up today from Jason's parents and have them in bed now.  I fed them, read to them, gave Maggie a bath, had prayers and now sit here finishing up this first blog of 2012.  I know very few actually read it, but to me it is my journal.  I always like to journal in a book, so this is something that takes it's place.  Hopefully, I will be able to look back, read, and remember "the days". 

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog every time! And I hope that I have such a dear group of friends still with me throughout my life as well.

    ReplyDelete