Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Passing of Time

When you start to talk about death, illness, or anything that is sad, it's not a conversation most people want to share in. When Becky turned 30 this year, she said she realizes more and more that many girls that have much more energy, better shapes, etc., are younger than she. It hits her she is not 25 anymore. She is truly better than ever in my eyes, and I know she is living the life I would have only dreamed for her, she feels the years starting to creep up. Well, believe me, although my mom is 83 and has many years on me, I know time is creeping up on us and these are years we want to cherish. We love spending time with each other. I love that, after 37 years (almost 38), Clyde still tries to please me. He thinks of things I would like to do. All the time he is thinking of where I might enjoy driving to, where I might like to eat, what movie we haven't seen. He knows I like the Arboretum and we have visited there twice this month. He came home this evening, after spending time with Jason Allen today, and we got into the convertible (he said it was too pretty not to go for a drive) and took me to Parkette for a Po'Boy. We forgot that Parkette was closed on Sundays, so we drove on. He decided to take me to see dad's tombstone (with the date of death engraved) then drove across Parker's Mill to Waller Ave. for a burger at Backyard Burger. We came home and walked in the neighborhood. Little things, I know, but they mean a lot to me. We do this each weekend and many days of the week. We will soon celebrate 38, and I feel like a lucky girl (except I don't really believe in luck!)
I started this walk down memory lane, b/c after talking to mom today, I got a little teary eyed this evening thinking of her family. She mentioned that, on their way home from Florida, Bev. & Larry stopped off in Berea for mom to visit with her only living brother, Uncle Bob. It is his birthday, I know it's 91 or 92. The sad thing to me is that for years mom has driven to Richmond (they met half way!) to meet up with Uncle Bob & Aunt Louise for a shared birthday lunch celebration. Then in December, they'd come here to celebrate mom's birthday. Since out of 13 children, they are the only two survivors. The sad part is that mom & Uncle Bob are just not getting around all that well. Yes, my brother can certainly drive her, and I know they were on their way past Berea so they should stop, it's just that I know they realize these birthdays are winding down. Soon, maybe there will only be one left, then none. Bev. mentioned that mom had a hard time getting around in Florida. Any outing, she would go to bed very early, sleep later than normal in the morning, then stay in the next day.
In two days, dad will have been gone for two months. There has been a lot said of his death (from each of us, and comments from a lot of friends), so I don't want to keep bringing it up, but I sure miss dad. Today is grandparent's Day, and my children have wonderful grandparents.
I love my grandkids so much, and feel blessed everyday to have the sweetest ones in the world. They are loving and kind, and we just cherish them. Thinking of the future, when I will leave this world, I just want Austin, Matthew & Maggie to remember me as a nana that "had their back" that I loved them when they were "good & not so good", and that I was a Godly example for them to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment