Wednesday, July 15, 2009

recipes

I mentioned Haystacks in an earlier post and Bev asked for the recipe. I know, through the years at pool parties or birthday get togethers, you have had these. They are chewy and quick and most everyone loves them. Here is the recipe:
1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup white sugar
Put in heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring constantly with spoon.
Remove from heat and add: 2 Tablespoons butter (add this first), 1 cup peanut butter, 1 teas. vanilla and stir until smooth. Put 6 1/2 cups cornflakes in a large bowl. Pour mixture over cornflakes and mix thoroughly. With spoon make into cookies. Makes about 24...yummy. It always makes more than 24, but that is what my friend originally wrote in her recipe to me. These are ready to eat quickly, but I don't think they "keep" that well. That's my personal opinion. They are best eaten in a couple of days.

Note: My friend Susan makes these a lot and uses Rice Krispie ceral in place of the cornflakes. At Easter, she made them into small bird nests and added "Robin eggs" from small jelly beans or m & m's.....I did the same and the added candy was "sweet".


Each day I get a small bowl full of blackberries from the vine in our backyard. They are pretty sweet but sugar sure helps them be extra good. Here is a "quick bread" recipe for a cobbler that is good. It wouldn't replace the one grandma made, but for an "on hand" ingredients one, this is quite good!
Blackberry Cobbler
2-4 cups blackberries (I use about 2 to 3 cups)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 T. margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold water
Spread blackberries in a single layer in a 9 x 9 baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons margarine. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add remaining margarine (I soften or melt this, although that is not stated in original recipe) and milk and mix well. Pour (I have to spread, mine is too thick to pour) over top of blackberries. Sprinkle the 1 cup sugar on and then pour the cold water over the top. Bake at 400 degrees 30 to 40 minutes. *I serve with vanilla ice cream or cool whip. This is from my moms church cookbook and I really love it. So quick and easy. Hope you enjoy it as well.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so yummy! I can't wait to try the cobbler. Maybe I'll make some vanilla ice cream when I get home for the top. Yum! I want the recipe for those cookies (or mix) with the caramels in it.

    ReplyDelete