My priorities today was to see Old Faithful (of course) and see animals! Especially a herd of buffalo and BIG elk. We walked up to the geyser just before it erupted, so that was nice....no wait. It was a cloudy day, and mostly we saw what looked like clouds. Against a blue sky, it would have been remarkable. After we ate lunch, we went back and stood at another "side" of the geyser. MUCH better! I could see "water" rising up with the steam this time. Not just steam. It rises so high!
We saw many elk, pronghorn and bulls (they separate from the buffalo herd after mating:) but after traveling all over Yellowstone, NO herds!! Both of us were surprised as all our friends shared pics of them being all over the roads. As we were heading out of Yellowstone back to Cody, into Lemar Valley, we started seeing huge herds, far off in the fields. As we kept driving, yay, there close by the road was a herd. I felt my day was complete.
This was neat, Mammoth Hot Springs, this was where the elk (below) were, a great visitors center/museum, a church, grill...Mammoth, a good place to stop.
This is the famous Roosevelt Arch leaving Yellowstone at the north exit (or entrance, depending if you're going or coming). On the other side it says "FOR THE BENEFIT AND ENJOYMENT OF THE PEOPLE".
I hopped out and got Clyde driving through.
And that's a wrap on Yellowstone! Close up, but not too close!
On Chief Joseph Highway heading back to Cody, there was snow on the mountains. Pretty, this drive was amazing. Had it been sunny and warm, even late in the day, I would have enjoyed it more! At this point, it was getting dark, so foggy at one point I was getting concerned, but it lifted (my prayers were being lifted as well!)
Turns, twists and what a view! Chief Joseph Highway.






Wow! I remember well those hairpin curve highways! This looks like a fabulous day! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete