Monday, November 9, 2015

My Friend Susan

On Sunday morning, Nov. 1, 2015, Clyde and I had just left our motel in Chattanooga.  We had been to Florida for two weeks.  We got a call around 8:15 a.m. from our long time friend, Chris.  Nothing prepared us for his saying Susan had gotten sick the day before with what he thought was a virus. As the day went on, he said she got worse.  Then he said "she died" or "she's gone".  Either way, we were in shock with disbelief.  

We were coming home to attend little 3 1/2 yr. old Bennett's funeral visitation.  She was to be buried the next day, Monday.  Upon driving into town, we went home to change clothes, and went to see Chris.  We stopped by Panera's to take in some bagels and a pastry ring....which was the quickest thing I could think of.  I really wanted to make sure we had understood him.

Sadly, she was gone.  The friend that laughed all the time.  That never had an ugly thing to say about anyone.  The one that always was ready for an adventure.  A lunch out with the girls.  A ride in the convertible to Windy Corner.  The Nai Nai Pilgrim loved that takes him to the park, the Library, the mall and to BSF.  The grandmother to Charlotte who was so happy to have a grand-daughter.  That thought Charlotte was the prettiest little girl and she never saw a stranger.  She loved that Charlotte would "go to" most people and was so friendly.  How can this be?  But it is true.

When we got to Chris & Sue's home, her brothers and their wives were there.  Her sister and husband as well.  Chip, Mallary, Pilgrim was napping, Joe & Stefanie, Charlotte was going down to nap, all there.  Brewster came in, with a bucket of chicken.  While there, we went through her closet, laundry room as well, choosing exactly the right thing for her to wear.  My thoughts:  she would want to look nice.  She always cared so much about what she wore, what her hair looked like, and how her makeup was.  She would want to look pretty.  She was pretty.  So very attractive.  Everyone thought so. I'm so sorry Sue.  You didn't know, when you left the house last, your family would be going through your things.  

When I called you from Florida, and asked if I should bring home my capris, we never had any thought that I would be helping choose your funeral clothes, a week later.  We had NO idea.  Nothing prepared us for your death.  You were strong.  You walked more than anyone.  You rode your bike.  You swam at UK and this summer with me at Equestrian Woods. You ate well, watched every bite.  How this could attack you in one day, and take you on to Heaven, just hard to even think about, even now.  After your funeral on Thursday, still hard to believe.  But it's true.  You are gone for now.  We'll see you again.  

You would have been blown away to see how many came to your visitation.  It started at three p.m. and as I was leaving the kitchen area, I stopped by the chapel area, to see the last few going through to speak to Chris.  It was after 9:00.  This was Wed. evening, Nov. 4th. I heard that Mallary asked anyone that wouldn't mind to sign the book and leave without seeing Chris.  That he was worn out at this point.   Our ABF class brought in food for the visitation.  Clyde and I took the left overs back to Chris' house.  Thursday came.  Funeral service.  It was at the church as visitation had been at Kerr Bros.  

The church had much more room and Susan's friends, family, Chris' friends, their church family, we all helped fill it.  Mallary had called to ask if I would speak as well as two other friends.  Of course, I agreed.  My stomach was full of knots.  The morning of, I prayed for Patty and Elaine.  The peace that passeth all understanding washed over me.  I felt so calm.  Said what I planned without tears.  I did for Sue what she would have done for me.  

The days to come will be sad for Chris.  He will miss her like crazy.  With her retirement, she was with him a lot.  She worked with him for their car business.  They rode their convertibles on nice days.  They loved.  He will be lost, for awhile, but he will be OK.  He will go on.  He will not stop.  He will work, go to church, BSF, and maybe come out with friends!  He will miss his other half.  He'll see her again.  

 Susan is sitting on the left.  
 Doesn't she look lovely sitting up front on the floor?  
   This was the first night they arrived late (on Tuesday), after we had eaten.  She texted "where's the party"?  I told her to come on up!  They didn't stay late, after a long day of travel.

Sue loved the beach.  She walked on the sandy shores a lot.  After we left on Friday, she and Chris stayed until Sunday.  This was a gift.  To both of them.  I wish I had taken more pictures.  This is all I have.  What I would have given to have more.  But we do have our memories.  Seeing she and Chris sitting alone on at the water's edge.  A gift.  A blessing.  Thank you God.  Thank you for the gift of friendship.  Thank you for the  memories.  Thank you for Susan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment