Sunday, November 3, 2013

Thanks

Mike started a new series today which is timely for November.  We have all heard before how we need to write down our gratitude.  Things we are blessed to have in our life.  Things we are grateful for, thankful for, our blessings, as I would call them.  He said today to go home and journal them, blog them, or just start counting them.  So, this is an "odds and ends" blog, with the sole purpose of sharing my thoughts on gratitude.
Of all the things I could start with, I am thankful for Clyde.  This note also mentions God, and He goes without saying that we would not have made it many times without Him in our marriage.  So, thank God for Himself!  In 1972, I married my best friend.  He is still the one I want to be with more than anyone.  We can talk (which is rare) or we can be still, quiet, and still be OK with that.  We don't always laugh, we don't always like the same things, but we love being together.  We love going on trips, we love going to the movies, dinner, sitting around a campfire, sitting watching a few programs on TV that we both like.  Among them, Dancing With the Stars, Survivor, and (don't judge) the Bachelor!!  LOL.....we also love to criticize those as well!  We also like Duck Dynasty, American Pickers, and Pawn Stars (forget the exact name of those!)  My hope is that we stay well and are able to happily share our life with one another for the next 20 years!

I am thankful for Jason and Becky and their spouses, Rosemary and Jason K. Jason Allen came first and I was SO happy for a boy.  He was the perfect "big" brother.  He was the child I "cut my teeth" on and made the most mistakes.  I am very thankful he is also the most forgiving person I know.  He loves unconditionally and fully.  He is my sweet son and now I am playing second string to Rosemary.  I am happy with that position!  She is a very sweet girl and I count her among my blessings.  Not to mention she is carrying his first baby and her first baby....a boy, Lucas.  I am thankful for Jason & Rosemary.

Becky came 2 1/2 years later and there isn't a day I'm not thankful for her.  I wanted a baby girl and I got a tiny one.  She came 6 weeks early and weighed in at 5 lbs even.  I hoped to have a girl that I could remain "close" to.  Moms and daughters some times "clash" and have more than their share of arguments.  We had ours but again, we held hands until she was in high school.  I was mom, but we remained close.  Now, although life gets in the way, we are friends.  I am thankful for Becky. 

Jason K. and Becky met at Georgetown College.  He is a loving dad to my precious three grand children and they love him dearly.  He and Becky are a team that work together to make a nice home for their family one that loves God and love one another.  I am thankful for Godly dads, that lead their children to God and show them a good example for them to follow.  I count JK on my list of "Thanksgiving".

This is a picture of my dad, Stanley Porter Stinnett, at his 90th birthday. His birthday is June 25th, and he passed away less than a month later on July 14th, 2010.  I am thankful for dad.  Mom and dad were married 64 years when he died and their marriage is what modeled mine.  Mom worked to make our very modest house a home.  She rearranged our furniture from time to time to make our home look new.  I remember when we got a color TV and air conditioning in our car!  Also, I loved when they bought us a very large stereo in a beautiful cabinet and we went to sleep many nights listening to albums mom played.  She was (and still is, you can ask Kent) a wonderful cook.  She raised roses and brought them into our home to make it smell so nice.  Dad spoiled me the most.  He made sure I had money everyday in the summer for the Mr. Softy ice cream truck. He always made sure I had money for roller skating each and every Saturday morning and each summer of my life, I went off to church camp.  I am VERY thankful for church camp!!  I am thankful for skating and growing up in a home that made sure I was in church Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night.  There was no choice and I loved our church. 
 
The picture above is me and mom coming home from Cameron & Jennifer's wedding in San Antonio.
Martha, mom & I flew out and enjoyed the time together. 
 
Below, is MJ's first "game ball".  This reminds me of three things I am thankful for.  First Austin.  He was my first grandson.  He is my joy, makes me happy.  Such a sweet boy.  When he was born, I would say "I love you more" and he would say to me "no, I love you more".  Now, he wouldn't say that (ha) or even remember saying it, but I loved it!  He's my buddy.  Next, we had Maggie.  She is the typical tomboy "princess" combined.  She plays ball, runs as fast as most boys her age, and loves having tea parties with the girls.  Plays with her doll babies and all things "girly".  I am thankful for MJ.  


 
Matthew came next, although he is older from Feb. to May, than Austin.  He is eight years old and I am thankful for Matthew.  He is a sweet boy.  He has a big heart that loves others.  He has lots of friends and his teachers love him.  As most know, he is special to our family and was fully adopted two years ago.  He was part of Becky & Jason's family long before that but official when he was in first grade (I believe!). 
 
Well, this is all things I have said many times before.  Photos I have already shared (mostly on this blog) but I can't make a gratitude journal without mentioning them. 
 
I am thankful for my brother Kent that is five years younger than I, stays with mom and takes care of her and their home.  He loves her and she loves him back.  He is her baby boy and they get along so well.  I am thankful for their relationship! 
 
My sisters are the best, I am thankful for Martha and Bev.  They are Godly role models to me of how to be in long married relationships and how to raise children that love each other and have such fun as a family.  I consider them my friends and I am thankful for them.  Thank God for their spouses as well and their children.  I am very thankful for each of them. 
 

I have a host of friends that I am thankful for, but I will end tonight with granny.  She is Clyde's mom and she is amazing.  She hasn't had the "life of leisure" that comes with financial security, a husband that was always "by her side" but she is rich.  She is funny, the grand kids love her, her kids adore her and my Jason and Becky love their granny.  She calls each of her kids every night, or most nights if not every.  I am thankful for my mother in law.
 
I am thankful for flowers, gardens with lots of color, screened in patios (with TV's on them!), large back yards, firepits, sunsets in my backyard, birds, especially hummingbirds, my fish pond....thank you God for my fish pond.  The red convertible that takes us on quick trips like to Paris to eat at the Mexican restaurant, Midway to eat at Darlin' Jeans, and long trips to see the Grand Canyon.  Thank you that we have those "things" but more than anything, these are so unimportant compared to you.  I am so thankful for salvation.  For grace, being forgiven of my sins.  For Heaven.  For the Holy Spirit.  For Jesus dying, giving his life, for me.  I am so unworthy.  I am thankful for you, God.  I have not necessarily put these in the proper order, but this is my thankful list.  There is much more....baseball, I am thankful for t-ball, coach pitch, watching Austin, Matthew & Maggie play ball.  I am grateful for chocolate, eating lunch with my girlfriends, tea rooms, my cell phone and ipad.  I am very thankful for them.  I am thankful for my house, warm bed, new white blanket that keeps us so warm, the holidays coming, family time, friend time, movies on Hallmark.  More and more.  Cracker Barrel, Cheddars, Logan's, Sir Pizza.....Wendy's chili.  McD's large, unsweetened tea.  Well, it's late....I have many more things I am thankful for.  I will add more.  No one will read this!  Way too long, but it's for me.  I don't think I will reread or make corrections, so hoping there aren't too many typos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment