Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Hero My Dad

For as long as I can remember, I have been "daddy's girl". I am the third daughter in our family and then 5 years later came my brother, Kent. When I was little, daddy would leave me a dime every day for "Mr. Softie" the ice cream truck. Many times growing up he would "spoil" me in various little ways. The older girls grew older and out on their own, then at home it was Kent and I. Dad had more money by then (thank goodness) and not as many of us to "buy" things for, so I got to shop at a cool store "Sportswear Mart" (was that the name?) and places like Hymson Tot's and Teens...he would give me the credit card, tell me how much (or about) to spend and trust me. Dad has always worked hard so that I (and the others) could go to church camp each year. I never missed a summer at Camp Deer Lick. Then there were state youth coventions and once I went to a Natl. youth convention. Before youth group, when I was younger and we lived on Darley Drive, each and every Sat. morning there was always money for me to go to Scotty's Roller Rink. I had more "pom poms" on my skates than anyone! All in all, I loved growing up in my Father's house.
Daddy was strong, a leader in our church and the head of our home. He is now 89 years old, and not so strong or healthy. We thank God everyday he is still very "sharp". As anyone may have read in my earlier posts, he plays Rook several days a week...he and Kent beat mom and I today! But these days he rarely gets dressed, unless he is going to the doctor. He walks very carefully so he won't slip, trip or fall. He doesn't think anything "tastes" good, so he eats little. Although my dad has never been a "drinker" he found out he has cirosis of the liver. This causes him to retain fluid that builds up in his abdomen. This keeps him from breathing deeply and when the fluid increases, this causes him much discomfort. Yesterday he went in to the hospital and had 7 liters drained. Today, his good doctor, Dr. Swisher, ask he and mom to have a "talk" in his office with him. He told my precious daddy, that this disease would kill him. He said he didn't need to make another doctor's appt. with him, as there was nothing else he could do. So, dad will go back once a month to have this fluid removed, and we will all pray when God calls him home, he will go in peace. We will pray that he is in no pain and has a smooth passage home. I know there is a mansion built for him in Heaven that has a screen porch for dad to sit out on and feed the birds. I will love my daddy forever and always thank God that I married a man just like my dad.

3 comments:

  1. It is my habit to check your blog every morning but I'm sorry I did so today because here I sit at my computer at work with tears streaming down my face!! I don't know why Dr. Swisher's "talk" was so hard to hear when he didn't say anything we didn't already know -- but it was!! I guess it sort of made it "official" when the doctor told us what we already knew! We have been so blessed to have Daddy 89 years and there's nothing more I want for him than for him to go Home but we will never be ready to not have him in our lives anymore!! Okay, enough already! I've got to try to be able to see to work, so I'll get off here and try to wrap my mind around something else!! I love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, sorry to hear about your Dad. I know this saddens you greatly. We must find strength in our faith to get through times like these as I know you rely on. Love ya girl! Vickie

    ReplyDelete